Sunday, April 17, 2011

Reading vs. Writing

Lately I have felt a lot more like reading instead of writing. I'm not sure why this is, but I do have a hunch. I am still struggling with what to write. Do I go back and work the characters I love into a new story? Do I start from scratch with entirely new characters and plot? Instead of taking the time to get serious and answer these questions I just choose to bury myself in a book. Reading is a useful tool for writers - it exposes us to new styles and ways of crafting stories. However, is my thirst for reading negatively affecting my writing? Who knows, but for today I am content to ponder this briefly and then get back to my Kindle.

I also think stress is worsening this issue for me. My current job has less than desirable circumstances and I am just biding my time until I can move on. However, it sucks out my desire to do anything truly creative in the evenings.

Are there any other writers out there with this issue or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment